Before you choose to attempt to extinguish ANY fire,
CALL 911 FIRST!
When using a fire extinguisher remember the acronym PASS:
Pull, Aim, Squeeze, Sweep
Pull the pin at the top of the extinguisher, it keeps the handle from being accidentally pressed.
Aim the nozzle toward the base of the fire.
Squeeze the handle to discharge the extinguisher, stand about 8 feet away from the fire. If you release the handle, the discharge will stop.
Sweep the nozzle back and forth at the base of the fire. After the fire appears to be out, watch it carefully since it may re-ignite.
Always have your back to a door so you don’t become trapped by the fire
INSTALL & MAINTAIN SMOKE DETECTORS ON EACH LEVEL OF YOUR HOME!
Should you discover a fire in your home:
- Keep calm
- Alert the family
- If room is smoke-filled, stay low on the floor
- Do not open a door that feels hot
- Exit the house using a pre-planned escape route
- Remember, ONCE OUT STAY OUT!!
- Take a roll call of family members & guests
- Notify the fire department – DIAL 911
- Stand by to direct firefighters to the correct location
WE CAN’T HELP YOU IF WE CAN’T FIND YOU.
- Post your address number at the front where it is clearly visible from the street
- If you have a curbside mailbox, place reflective address numbers on both sides of the box
- Install a light fixture above the house number
- Use large, plain numbers, not decorative script or other hard-to-read lettering
- Driveway clearance needed is 10 feet wide by 12 feet high. Keep trees trimmed and wires taut.